A Couple of Good Lessons from the Kama Sutra
  • On our sister site, masala.xxx, I have an ongoing stream of posts on the topic of the Kama Sutra.  There are two particular points made by Vatsyayana, the author, which I find to be such great wisdom that I'd like to share...

First off, pretty much everyone knows that the Kama Sutra provides descriptions of various sexual moves and positions.  What many people don't realize is that, despite these detailed lists for ways to touch, kiss, fuck, etc., Vatsyayana not only makes the following statement:  "Even those embraces that are not mentioned in the Kama Shastra should be practised at the time of sexual enjoyment, if they are in any way conducive to the increase of love or passion," but he actually restates or makes similar statements several other times throughout the text.  So what Vatsyayana has given us is more of a guide, not a set of rules.  Because in sex, you should do what works for you and your partner(s)...

The second lesson of importance comes from the following quote:  "Whatever things may be done by one of the lovers to the other, the same should be returned by the other, i.e., if the woman kisses him, he should kiss her in return, if she strikes him he should also strike her in return."  Okay, so not all couples are into a full-on, tit-for-tat, situation in bed.  Some want to be the only one being struck.  I opt to interpret this as a broader statement on the necessity for equality and respect in bed between partners: you should be willing to "get what you give" in the sense of being equally open and respectful of each others needs and desires.  It should never be about only one partner getting the stimulation and satisfaction they want.  And if you want to try something new, then you also have to be open to what your partner wants to try out.

If these are not words of wisdom by which you already live (er... have sex...), I hope you take them to heart as they are certainly some of the most essential assets to a great sex life.
  • There is some great stuff in the Kama Sutra, a lot of it outlined on masala.xxx.